Is there anything more amazing than the smell of kettle corn wafting through the air? Too bad the county fair only lasts a weekend and we can't buy a bag with every whim. Here is our guide to making perfect kettle corn at home.
Tips & Tricks
- Wider is better than taller when choosing your pot, so try a deep skillet if you have it.
- Prepare all of your ingredients ahead of time. Pre-measure your sugar, popcorn kernels, and salt so you don't waste time while you're dealing with the hot oil.
- Don’t let the popcorn sit for any extra time on the stove or the sugar will burn. You don't need to wait for the popping to stop, just for it to slow down! Transfer immediately to your serving bowl and salt the popcorn in that dish.
- We prefer the 3 second method. Keep your pan on the heat for 3 seconds, then shake for 3 seconds, and continue alternating until the popping slows down.
Kettle Corn Recipe
1/4 c. Coconut oil
1/4 c. white sugar
1/2 c. unpopped popcorn kernels
3/4 t. kosher salt
1. Heat oil in a large pot of medium heat with three popcorn kernels. Once all three kernels have popped, the oil is ready.
2. Add the sugar and give it a quick stir before adding the rest of the popcorn kernels. Cover with a lid.
3. Alternate 3 seconds on the heat and 3 seconds shaking the pan.
4. Pull the popcorn when the popcorn slows down, and transfer to a serving bowl.
5. Sprinkle with salt, give a final toss, and serve!